There’s nothing better than taking an ugly pieces of furniture or home decor & making it pretty again! When I saw this little nightstand at a rummage sale my daughter’s school was putting on, I had to check it out. I made sure it was sturdy & it really was. I asked the woman in charge how much she wanted for it & she said $4! SOLD!
When I first brought it home, I wasn’t sure where it was going to go or what color I wanted it to be. At first, I was going to go into my bedroom and be a nice green that I had but then I thought I would use it in the living room & started painting it taupe. I hated the color when it was done & almost gave up. But, I knew it could be so much better! So, I thought about it again & decided I did want it for my bedroom & I wanted to use the same exact teal color I used for my candle holders on my living room mantle.
The first thing I did was clean the heck out of the nightstand. I sanded it really well (and sanded it again when I switched from taupe to teal). The back of the nightstand was so terribly ugly. It had a thin sheet of particle board on top of another piece of wood. I figured I might have to replace the entire back but first I started chipping away at the particle board. I was VERY pleased that it all came off & I could sand the back somewhat.
When painting with the teal spray paint, I did about 3 coats of spray paint to make sure I covered everything. I’m still learning to spray paint things so it’s always a learning curve for me. After letting the coats dry, I thought the drawer needed a little something more. What came to mind was a project that my friend Dinah over at DIY Inspired did. She used a map to cover up the front of some drawers & it came out beautiful! I decided to cut a piece of thick scrapbook paper to the size of the face of the drawer. I was out of Mod Podge so I mixed some traditional white glue & water and did a layer of that on the drawer then carefully laid the piece of paper on top, smoothing it out and getting rid of all the bubbles underneath. After letting it dry overnight, I mixed up some more glue & water and added a few coats on top of the paper as well (let each coat dry in between). There is more blue in the scrapbook paper then what is showing in the pictures. Then I added a knob that I had gotten at World Market for $4.
This fun little piece has now found a home next to my side of the bed. I added a trusty little friend to greet me and will be adding books and more. I absolutely LOVE how it came out!
I linked up at: