Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned in this post in order to do a review of said item(s) for my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
For the longest time, I’ve wanted to buy a rice cooker. I love having rice with different meals but I’m not the greatest at making it on the stove. My rice tends to either be overcooked or undercooked…never in between. When Hamilton Beach asked if they could send me one of their 4-20 Cup Rice and Hot Cereal Cooker, I couldn’t wait to see if I could FINALLY make rice for the family that tasted great!
What I didn’t realize before receiving the rice cooker was that it could do so much more than just cook rice. You can use it to make oatmeal, pasta, soups, one pot meals and even steam fish and vegetables!
My fiancée and I decided that we wanted to try to make rice cooker macaroni & cheese. My younger two kids only like certain mac & cheese (usually from a box) and my oldest son has always said he hates mac & cheese, so we wanted to find a way to cook it in the rice cooker & make it taste good enough for everyone to eat. I think we found a perfect balance that we all love!
Hamilton Beach Rice Cooker Features
- 4-20 cup cooked rice capacity – 2-10 cup uncooked rice capacity
- Comes with rice rinser/steam basket
- Great for oatmeal, grits, and cream of wheat
- Delay start makes breakfast and meal planning easier
- Use your own recipe or packaged pasta & rice mixes
- Automatically shifts to warm after cooking
- Great for white rice, quick rice, whole grain rice
- Keep warm: illuminates when cooking is complete
- Delay start: prepare for cooking up to 15 hours in advance
- Heat/simmer is perfect for flavored pasta and rice mixes, beans, soups, and one-pot meals
- Steam cook: vegetables, meats, fish, and more
- Hot cereals: great for oatmeal, grits, and cream of wheat
Now on to our yummy recipe! It was simple to do, especially as a side dish because we could put the ingredients into the rice cooker, let it cook and be working on other food at the same time.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In the rice cooker, mix the macaroni, broth and milk together and cook according to your rice cooker's instructions (the first time we did 30 minutes & the noodles were TOO soft, the second time was 20 minutes & just right!)
- When the time is up, stir the pasta/milk/broth mixture together.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, paprika, salt, and pepper into macaroni mixture until cheeses are melted. Serve.