This post brought to you by Dollar General. All opinions are 100% mine.
Reading is such an important part of my kids lives and mine as well. Since they were babies, I’ve been reading to them and when they were old enough to read to themselves, they read every school night. I honestly can’t imagine our lives without books or without my kids asking weekly if we can go to the library for new books!
Unfortunately, not every child is read to or taught to read from an early age. But there are organizations out there that are helping those that need it. The Dollar General Literacy Foundation, which was established in 1993, has awarded more than 81 million dollars to nonprofit organizations and schools. These schools and organizations have helped more than 4.7 million people learn to read, prepare for the high school equivalency test or learn how to speak English. The Foundation was started in honor of Dollar General’s co-founder, J.L. Turner, who was functionally illiterate and only had a 3rd grade education. It’s amazing that with determination and all his hard work, he started such a successful business!
There are Dollar General stores in 40 states. Click HERE to find one close to you.
Important Literacy Facts (source: Dollar General Literacy Foundation)
- Every year in the United States, one in every three young adults drops out of school.
- More than 30 million adults in the United States read at the lowest level of literacy.
- Among the 30 members of the OECD, the United States is the only country in which the younger adults are less educated than the previous generation.
- More than 35.7 million adults ages 18-64 do not have a high school diploma.
Pepsi© and Lipton© are teaming together to donate $50,000 to the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. When you buy Pepsi© and Lipton© at Dollar General stores, you are in retirn helping a great foundation. To help you too, you can save $1.85 on Lipton Pure Leaf products that you buy at Dollar General.
Latest posts by Tara (see all)
- Countdown to Camp: How to Get Yourself and Your Kid Ready! - May 18, 2017
- 4 Simple Things You Can Do To Save Energy - May 15, 2017
- Grill Any Time, Any Place with a Hamilton Beach Indoor Searing Grill - May 11, 2017