Cinnamon rolls are one of the greatest things on the planet and if they’re homemade cinnamon rolls? Oh, mama! Even better in my opinion. Plus, I love being able to make recipes like these where my kids can help me in the kitchen. My 7 year old son loves reading the recipe to me and it’s great for not only his reading skills but also for math and life skills, as well!
These cinnamon rolls aren’t really ooey gooey or super sweet which is great for a family because I know that in my own family, we have a couple people who don’t like things super sweet (I can tell you that I am NOT one of those people!) This recipe is great for a Saturday or Sunday morning where you want something fun and different but don’t want to wait for hours for dough to rise.
Makes 12-15 rolls
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (I soften mine a bit in the microwave)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (again, in the microwave)
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Icing (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Mix together, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Add milk and stir to create a dough.
- On a clean and floured surface, place dough and knead a few times until smooth and no longer sticky. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle, about 1/8-1/4" thick.
- Spread the butter on the dough using a pastry brush or knife. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough tightly and pressing ends and seam together. Cut into about 12-15 slices. About 1-1/2" thick. Place in prepared pan about 1" apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to set for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar with water or milk. Drizzle icing over cinnamon rolls if desired.
Latest posts by Tara (see all)
- Britax Frontier ClickTight Harnessed Booster Seat Giveaway - September 19, 2017
- Learning About The Different Systems of the Human Body - September 12, 2017
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Paleo Friendly - September 7, 2017