Since I am on vacation this week, I asked a couple of my blogger friends if they would like to do a guest post for me. My good friend Susan from Budget Earth said she would love to and I couldn’t be happier to share this great recipe & post with you today! Make sure you check out Susan on her site, Budget Earth. You can also follow her on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest.
When Tara told me she was going to go on vacation, I told her I would be quite happy to step up to the plate and try to steal entertain her wonderful readers for a couple of days. Even our favorite owl-loving writer needs a break every once in a while, right? For those of you who don’t know me, I am Susan Bewley – head writer at Budget Earth and just like you, one of Tara’s faithful readers. When I’m not writing about eco-friendly topics and health, I am happily cooking and baking away in my kitchen. I am one of those people who loves to experiment in the kitchen and see what tasty treats I can create.
While Tara may hate me for writing up a yummy dessert during her new diet, I just couldn’t resist making a semi-healthy dessert filled with dried cherries and a girl’s best friend – chocolate. Really, the inspiration for these chocolate cherry oatmeal cookies came when I found an unopened box of dried cherries hiding in my pantry. Knowing how popular my chocolate cherry cookie recipe is during the holidays, I wondered if I could turn my little surprise into a cookie recipe. After an hour of planning and putting together ingredients – my chocolate cherry oatmeal cookie recipe was born!
So, what are these chocolate cherry cookies like? Think of an oatmeal raisin cookie that is more moist, chewy, and has a nice mixture of sweet and tartness. Really, I am wondering why I didn’t try something like this even sooner! Best of all, this recipe is super easy to make, making it perfect for even beginning bakers!
Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 Cups Salted Butter softened
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Cups Quick Oats (1 minute kind)
- 1 1/4 Cup Dried Cherries
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. As the oven is preheating, start creaming the sugar and butter with a hand or stand mixer.
- Once the sugar is thoroughly mixed, add in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Start slowly adding it to the cookie mixture.
- Once the cookie batter is thoroughly mixed (about 3 – 5 minutes of mixing), add in the 3 cups of oats.
- Carefully mix in the dried cherries and chocolate. Make sure they are evenly throughout the dough.
- With a tablespoon, place cookie dough on a greased cookie sheet or pizza stone. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Susan Bewley is the head writer of the blogs Budget Earth and Mew Review. When she’s not writing out living a healthy, eco-friendly lifestyle, or reviewing products, she can be found busily experimenting with new recipes in her kitchen or spending her time with her husband and household of animals. If you would like to find other delicious recipes and tips like this, feel free to check us out!
Latest posts by Tara (see all)
- Britax Frontier ClickTight Harnessed Booster Seat Giveaway - September 19, 2017
- Learning About The Different Systems of the Human Body - September 12, 2017
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Paleo Friendly - September 7, 2017